Many people who work in London prefer to live outside it, and to go into their offices or schools every day by train, car or bus, even though this means they have to getup early in the morning and reach home late in the evening.
One advantageof living outside London is that houses are cheaper. Even a small flat in London without a garden costs quite a lot to rent. With the same money, one can get a little house in the country with a garden of one’s own.
Then, in the country one can really get away from the noise and hurry of busy working lives. Even though one has to get up earlier and spend more time in trains or buses, one can sleep better at night and during weekends and on summer evenings, one can enjoy the fresh, clean air of the country. If one likes gardens, one can spend one’s free time digging, planting, watering and doing the hundred and one other jobs which are needed in a garden. Then,when the flowers and vegetables come up, one has got the reward together with those who have shared the secret of Nature.
Some people, however, take no interest in country things: for them,happiness lies in the town, with its cinemas and theatres, beautiful shops andbusy streets, dance-halls and restaurants. Such people would feel that theirlife was not worth living if they had to live it outside London. An occasional walk in one of the parks and a fortnight’s (two weeks) visit to the sea every summer is all the country they want: the rest they are quite prepared to leaveto those who are glad to get away from London every night.
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true?(下列哪个陈述是不对的?)
A. People who love Nature prefer to live outside the city.
B. All the people who work in London prefer to live in the country.(所有在伦敦工作的人都喜欢住在伦敦市郊)
C. Some people enjoying city life prefer to work and live inside London.
D. Many nature lovers, though working in London, prefer to live outside the city.
2. With the same money needed for _______, one can buy a little house with a garden in the country.(用同样的钱_______，他可以在乡村买到一套有花园的小房子。)
A. getting as mall flat with a garden
B. having as mall flat with a garden
C. renting as mall flat without a garden(租个不带花园的小公寓)
D. buying as mall flat without a garden
3. When the garden is in blossom, the one _______has been rewarded.(当花园里开满鲜花的时候，那个_______的人就得到了奖赏。)
A. living in the country
B. having spent time working in the garden
C. having a garden of his own
D. having been digging, planting and watering(一直在挖土、种植和浇水)
4. People who think happiness lies in the city lifewould feel that ______ if they had to live outside London.(那些认为幸福就在城市里人会感到_______如果他们不得不住在郊外。)
A. their life was meaningless(他们的生活毫无意义)
B. their life was invaluable
C. they didn’t deserve a happy life
D. they were not worthy of their happy life
5. The underlined phrase get away from in the 3rd paragraph refers to _______.(在第3段中，划线的词组get away from指_______。)
A. deal with
B. do away with
C. escape from(逃离某个地方)
D. prevent from
1. 答案B。细节题，B项“All the people who work in London prefer to live inthe country(所有在伦敦工作的人都喜欢住在伦敦市郊)和文章不符。
2. 答案C。细节题，答案是第二段第二句“Even a small flat in London without a garden costs quite a lot to rent. With the same money, one can get a little house in thecountry with a garden of one’s own.”
3. 答案B。细节题，答案是第三段这句：“Then, when the flowers and vegetables come up, one has got the reward together with those who have shared the secret of Nature.”
4. 答案A。细节题，答案是第四段这句：“Such people would feelthat their life was not worth living if they had to live it outside London. ”其中not worth living与meaningless意义相近，指无意义。
5. 答案C。细节题，“Then, in the country one can really get away from the noise and hurry of busy working lives. …,one can sleep better at night and during weekends and on summer evenings, onecan enjoy the fresh, clean air of the country.”根据这两句可推测“get away from”表示远离。deal with 意为“应付、对待”;do away with“废除”，prevent from“阻止”，只有escape from 表示逃离。